Now that so many people are spending more time at home, it’s possible to really personalise your coffee-break. Pairing your own homemade cake with handcrafted pottery will make your afternoon or morning tea extra special. This delicious teacake is our own invention, adapted from our Oma’s famous Walnut Slice…a few small tweaks to her original recipe produced this amazing and easy cake. Add some mugs of hot coffee and a little juglet of milk or cream to complete your treat.
Pecan Citrus Teacake: Ingredients
- 1/3 cup butter or butter spread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sifted SR flour
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1/2 large orange
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 2 tsp vanilla
- dash of milk
- Cream the butter and sugar together
- Add beaten eggs. Continue beating until well combined.
- Add vanilla, orange zest, sifted flour and nuts. Mix well together until thick dolloping consistency. Add a dash of milk if seems too dry.
- Line a 20 x 20 cm cake tin with baking paper. Pour in cake mix.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 15-20 minutes. Test with skewer (cake is cooked if inserted skewer comes out clean).
- Optional: When cool, drizzle over with lemon icing.